As expected, Universal’s F9 cruised to an easy victory over the weekend, taking in a massive $30M on Friday en route to $70M over its first 3-days in over 4,000 theaters (per Deadline). That total actually trumps plenty of pre-pandemic openings, including Bad Boys for Life ($62.5M) and the Fast and Furious spinoff Hobbs & Shaw ($60M), even if it pales in comparison to previous Fast openings, namely Fast Five ($86M), Fast and Furious 6 ($97M), Furious 7 ($147M) and The Fate of the Furious ($98M).
F9, at the very least, shows that the theater experience isn’t dead. In fact, if you look at the Top 10, the top earners this weekend — F9, A Quiet Place Part II ($6.2M/$136.4M total), Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard ($4.875M/$25.8M total), and Peter Rabbit 2 ($4.85M/$28.8M total) — were films that didn’t open simultaneously on streaming platforms, which bodes well for potential box office hits like Top Gun: Maverick, Dune and No Time to Die. Overall, the box office is up 112% from last weekend with $99.1M — the best Friday-Sunday take during the pandemic.
Worldwide, F9 has stalled a bit, despite pulling in $204M from China. All told, the action sequel has pulled in $404.85M worldwide, a far cry from the $1.2 billion earned globally by Fate of the Furious and even off the $759M mark set by Hobbs and Shaw.
Still, F9 is the highest-grossing film to be released during the pandemic, surpassing Warner Bros.’ Tenet ($363M).
Domestic Top 10
1. F9 (Uni) 4,179 theaters, Fri $30M/Sat $22.4M/Sun $17.6M/3-day $70M/Wk 1
2. A Quiet Place 2 (Par) 3,124 (-277) theaters, Fri $1.86M /Sat $2.48M / Sun $1.85M/3-day $6.2M (-32%)/Total $136.4M/Wk 5
3. Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard (LG) 3,361 theaters (+30), Fri $1.36M/ Sat $2M/Sun $1.5M/3-day $4.875M (-57%)/Total $25.8M/Wk 2
4. Peter Rabbit 2 (Sony) 3,331 theaters (-15) Fri $1.47M / Sat $1.95M/ Sun $1.43M/3-day $4.85M (-20%) /Total $28.8M/Wk 3
5. Cruella (Dis) 2,820 (-290) theaters Fri $1.1M/ Sat $1.52M/ Sun $1.08M/3-day est. $3.73M (-26%)/Total $71.3M/Wk 5
6. Conjuring 3 (NL) 2,668 (-612) theaters Fri $935K/Sat $1.13M/Sun $850K/3-day $2.92M (-42%)/Total: $59.1M/Wk 4
7. In the Heights (WB) 2,403 (-1,106) theaters Fri $655K/Sat $900K /Sun $675K/3-day $2.23M (-47%)/Total: $24.16M/Wk 3
8. Spirit Untamed (Uni/DWA) 1,773 (-1,194) theaters Fri $290K/Sat $440K /Sun $300K /3-day: $1.03M (-34%)/Total: $15.8M/Wk 4
9. 12 Mighty Orphans (SPC) 1,020 (-27) theaters Fri $164,3K/Sat $230,2K/Sun $197,3K/3-day $591,9K (-34%)/Total : $2.29M/Wk 3
10. Nobody (Uni) 110 (-197) theaters Fri $250K/Sat $180K/Sun $130K/3-day: $560K (+3390%)/Total : $26.7M/Wk 14