The Force Awakens with $14.1 million internationally on Wednesday
Star Wars: The Force Awakens opened yesterday in 12 material international markets, placing #1 in each, with an estimated $14.1 million overall. Here’s the breakdown:
Other markets $0.9M
Walt Disney Pictures released the following highlights for the Lucasfilm release:
– Biggest single industry day of all-time in Norway and Sweden.
– Biggest industry opening day of all-time in Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland (French-speaking).
– Biggest Disney opening day of all-time in France, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, South Africa and Switzerland (French-speaking).
– Biggest opening day of 2015 in Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland (French-speaking).
– All markets are the biggest Star Wars opening days ever.
– France – #1 opening with biggest ever December, Disney and Star Wars opening day. More than double the opening day of Avengers and almost double the opening day of Jurassic World.
– Italy – #1 opening with biggest ever December and Star Wars opening day. Almost double the opening day of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.
– Several markets posted the biggest IMAX opening day of all-time.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens continues rolling out internationally with another 32 material international markets opening up today, including Germany, UK, Russia, Australia, Korea, Argentina, Brazil and Mexico. Japan and Spain then also open up tomorrow so that by the weekend the movie will be open in all international markets around the world with the exception of China, India and Greece.
Opening in domestic theaters tonight, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is set 30 years after the events of Return of the Jedi, and features a new generation of swashbuckling heroes and shadowy villains, as well as the return of fan-favorite smugglers, princesses, and Jedi.
Directed by J.J. Abrams, the highly-anticipated movie stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Max Von Sydow. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk are producing with Tommy Harper and Jason McGatlin serving as executive producers. The screenplay is by Lawrence Kasdan & J.J. Abrams and Michael Arndt.
You can watch all the previously-released trailers and TV spots for the film by clicking here.