The Godfather: Paramount Says a Fourth Installment Still Possible
Ahead of the upcoming release of the recut version of The Godfather Part III, Paramount Pictures has finally addressed the future of the acclaimed crime drama film franchise, confirming that they’re open to the possibility of producing a fourth installment. Speaking with The New York Times, the studio revealed the potential fourth Godfather movie would only move forward if the right story presents itself. In addition, a brand new featurette for Mario Puzo’s THE GODFATHER, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone has been released which you can check out below, featuring interviews by Coppola, Al Pacino, and Andy Garcia as they talk about the importance of the new version of the third film.
“While there are no imminent plans for another film in the ‘Godfather’ saga, given the enduring power of its legacy it remains a possibility if the right story emerges,” Paramount said in a statement.
However, should Paramount ever decided to make a fourth film, it’s unlikely that Francis Ford Coppola would be returning as its director. Coppola previously expressed that he had an idea for the sequel following the 1990 release of the third installment. However, he wasn’t able to write the script due to the passing of co-scribe Mario Puzo in 1999.
Mario Puzo’s THE GODFATHER, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone will have a limited theatrical release in December, followed by availability on Digital home entertainment platforms and on disc.
“Mario Puzo’s THE GODFATHER, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone is an acknowledgment of Mario’s and my preferred title and our original intentions for what became The Godfather: Part III,” said Coppola. “For this version of the finale, I created a new beginning and ending, and rearranged some scenes, shots, and music cues. With these changes and the restored footage and sound, to me, it is a more appropriate conclusion to The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II and I’m thankful to Jim Gianopulos and Paramount for allowing me to revisit it.”
Coppola’s masterful film adaptation of Puzo’s novel chronicles the rise and fall of the Corleone family and the saga is rightfully viewed as one of the greatest in cinematic history. Celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, The Godfather: Part III was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director. The film follows Michael Corleone (Al Pacino), now in his 60s, as he seeks to free his family from crime and find a suitable successor to his empire.
Coppola and his production company American Zoetrope worked from a 4K scan of the original negative to undertake a painstaking, frame-by-frame restoration of both the new Mario Puzo’s THE GODFATHER, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone and the original The Godfather: Part III.
“Mr. Coppola oversaw every aspect of the restoration while working on the new edit, ensuring that the film not only looks and sounds pristine but also meets his personal standards and directorial vision,” said Andrea Kalas, senior vice president, Paramount Archives.
In order to create the best presentation possible, Zoetrope and Paramount’s restoration team began by searching for over 50 original takes to replace lower resolution opticals in the original negative. This process took more than six months and involved sifting through 300 cartons of negative. American Zoetrope worked diligently to repair scratches, stains, and other anomalies that could not be addressed previously due to technology constraints, while enhancements were made to the original 5.1 audio mix. These thorough restoration efforts were not immune to the coronavirus pandemic: midway through the project, all work—even the search for the negative—shifted to the San Francisco Bay area and Los Angeles and was completed by Zoetrope and Paramount remotely.
The film will release in select theaters starting December 4 and will be available to own on Blu-ray and digital on December 8.