Mortal Kombat edged out Demon Slayer in the closest domestic box office race we’ve had in over a year. Mortal Kombat, a bloody update of the classic video game that simultaneously debuted on HBO Max, kicked its way to the top with $22.5M from 3,073 theaters, the biggest R-rated opening in the pandemic era, according to Deadline. In IMAX, the flick earned $2.7M at 375 auditoriums.
Internationally, Mortal Kombat hauled in another $6.3M from 36 markets for a $27.6M total, bringing its worldwide gross to $50.1M.
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train, the direct sequel to the first season of the popular anime series, earned $19.5M in its first weekend in the U.S. from 1,605 theaters. The film, which released in October of last year internationally, has amassed a whopping $456M worldwide. That makes it the first Japanese film and anime film to top $400M at the worldwide box office.
In other words: everything from here on out is pure icing.
Godzilla vs. Kong dropped another 46% domestically for a $4.2M weekend. All told, WB’s MonsterVerse flick, which leaves HBO Max this weekend, has totaled $86.57M in the U.S. after four weeks and $406.6M worldwide, making it the biggest Hollywood movie of the pandemic era.
The only new release to crack the Top 10 was Together Together after the flick collected $522K from 665 locations.
BOX OFFICE TOP 10
1) Mortal Kombat (New Line/WB), 3,073 theaters Fri $9.08M/Sat $8.7M/Sun $4.765M/3-day $22.5M/Wk 1
2) Demon Slayer (Fun/Ani) 1,605 theaters Fri $9.5M/Sat $6.44M/Sun $3.56M/3-day $19.5M Wk 1
3) Godzilla vs. Kong (WB/Leg) 2,856 theaters (-145) Fri $1.1M/Sat $1.9M/Sun $1.2M/ 3-day: $4.2M (-46%) Total: $86.57M/Wk 4
4) Nobody (Uni) 2,252 theaters (-153) Fri $500K/Sat $850K/Sun $510K/3-day: $1.86M (-26%) Total $21.67M/Wk 5
5) Raya and the Last Dragon (Dis) 1,819 theaters (-126) Fri $400K/Sat $800K/Sun $480k/ 3-day: $1.68M (-12%) Total: $39.8M/Wk 8
6) The Unholy (Sony) 1,835 theaters (-222) Fri $425K/Sat $610M/Sun $365K/$1.4M (-32%) Total: $11.5M/Wk 4
7) Tom & Jerry (WB) 1,930 theaters (-98) 3-day: $650K (-32%) Total: $43.4M/Wk 9
8) Together Together (BST) 665 theaters Fri $181K, Sat $211K, Sun $130K, 3-day: $522K/Wk 1
9) The Girl Who Believes in Miracles (Atlas) 941 theaters (-71) Fri $90K/Sat $155K/Sun $92K/ 3-day $337K (-40%) Total: $2.4M/Wk 4
10) The Courier (RSA) 713 theaters (-210) Fri $84K/Sat $120K/Sun $60K/3-day: $264K (-43%) Total: $5.9M/Wk 6