Having claimed a box office of $872 million with his animated sequel, Gru is headed to home video. Universal Studios Home Entertainment today announced that Despicable Me 2 is set to arrive on Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD and Digital HD (including UltraViolet) on December 10, 2013. The film will also be available on Digital HD November 26, 2013.
In addition to more than 45 minutes of bonus features, the Blu-ray Combo Packs will include three all-new mini-movies starring the film series’ breakout stars, the mischievous but lovable Minions.
“‘Despicable Me 2′ is the top box-office comedy of the year and is poised for spectacular success on home entertainment this holiday season,” said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment. “This adored franchise, with its iconic lovable Minions, stands apart from all others and is sure to be at the top of everyone’s wish list this December.”
In the follow-up to the 2010 worldwide blockbuster, Steve Carell (“The Office,” The 40-Year-Old Virgin) returns to play Gru, the newly-reformed master criminal now trying to live life as a normal dad to his three adopted daughters. Carell leads a voice cast of comedy stars that also includes Kristin Wiig (Bridesmaids, “Saturday Night Live”), Benjamin Bratt (Miss Congeniality, Snitch), Miranda Cosgrove (“iCarly,” Despicable Me), Russell Brand (Get Him to the Greek, Hop), Steve Coogan (Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Tropic Thunder), Ken Jeong (The Hangover, Turbo), Elsie Fisher (Despicable Me, Raising Hope), Dana Gaier (Despicable Me) and Moisés Arias (Ender’s Game, “Hannah Montana”).
The Blu-ray Combo Pack and Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack include a Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD with UltraViolet and the following exclusive special features:
- Three All-New Mini-Movies Starring the Minions Introduced by Gru: “Puppy,” “Panic in the Mailroom,” and “Training Wheels”
- The Making of the Mini-MoviesA fun-filled take on the making of the mini-movies through the eyes of the artists who made them.
- Deleted Scene
- The Minions A visit to Illumination Entertainment in Paris and Los Angeles to hear what it’s really like to work with the Minions.
- Evil Minions Bigger, badder and more purple than ever, the newest and fiercest addition to the Minion species can chew through metal and swallow a car. Find out more about the process that led to their creation and design.
- A Gru – Some Transformation A sit-down with Steve Carell as he discusses the transformation of Gru from the ultimate super-villain to super-dad and international spy.
- El Hombre Malo: The Villainy Of El MachoEvery great story needs a good villain, and Despicable Me 2 brings on the diabolico in the form of El Macho! Learn about the creation of this character and the actor who brought him to lifeBenjamin Bratt.
Additional Bonus Features on Blu-ray & DVD include:
- Gru’s Girls Miranda Cosgrove, Elsie Kate Fisher and Dana Gaier weigh in on working with Steve Carell and playing the daughters of a world-famous super-villain!
- Gadgets Galore Lipstick tasers, magnet ships, foam dart dispensers and jelly gunsthese are the nifty gadgets of Despicable Me 2. Illumination Entertainment pulls back the curtain on what it takes to build a world that would leave even James Bond envious.
- Feature Commentary With Directors Chris Renaud & Pierre Coffin