Creed 2 Gets a Tentative November 2017 Release Date
With $120 million at the worldwide box office and now a Best Supporting actor Golden Globe for Sylvester Stallone, it’s no wonder that MGM CEO Gary Barber is moving so aggressively to get a sequel to Creed on the fast track. Barber has told Variety that the current plan is for Creed 2 to land in theaters in November of 2017, which may spell the end of director Ryan Coogler helming the second installment. Coogler is currently in talks to direct Marvel Studios’ Black Panther for a February 16, 2018 release, thus precluding him from simultaneously making Creed 2.
Just last week Stallone predicted as much, saying that“There’s a diminishing time acceptance of a sequel. Three years is a little much.” Three years is the amount of time it will take until Coogler would be available after making the superhero movie.
It’s all but assured that if MGM moves forward on Creed 2 without Coogler, the 29-year-old wunderkind will remain onboard as an executive producer and possibly guide another young filmmaker such as himself to recapture the lightning in a bottle they had this time out. Coogler has even had discussions with Stallone for the next installment, which could potentially mirror Rocky IV or even take a page from The Godfather Part II playbook and feature recurring flashbacks to Apollo Creed before his death.
“You’ll have him face a different opponent, which I would say is a more ferocious, big Russian,” Stallone says. “There’s a lot there.”
Coogler directed Creed from a screenplay he wrote with Aaron Covington, based on characters from the Rocky series written by Sylvester Stallone. The film was being produced by Robert Chartoff, Irwin Winkler, Charles Winkler, William Chartoff, David Winkler, Kevin King Templeton and Sylvester Stallone, with Nicholas Stern executive producing.