#1 movie predicted correctly: Six Weeks In A Row
1. Miami Vice $25.1m (My rank:#1, $17.8m Off)
I really thought this one was manna for a hungry summer crowd but something hurt it. The R rating? The running time? My review? Word of mouth? I don’t know but this number is nothing less than a disaster for this big name and big budget project.
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest $20.4m (My rank:#2, $1.2m Off)
Another very strong week means that word of mouth has been largely positive. Now the only thing to do is start thinking about next summer’s Pirate projections.
3. John Tucker Must Die $14.0m (My rank:#3, $2.6m Off)
I think the genre of teen comedy has gotten a lot better over the years, so much so that I’d rather catch this than most of the RomCommies.
4. Monster House $11.5m (My rank:#5, $.4m Off)
Well I had this pegged I just overestimated Ant Bully demand. I still refuse to believe all the positive reviews of this one, I can only imagine the critics were on meth.
5. The Ant Bully $8.1m (My rank:#4, $8.1m Off)
I think I deserve something special for forecasting DOUBLE on this one. It was exactly half as popular as I thought. That’s hard to do. I need to see if my dart board is defective.
6. You, Me and Dupree $7.0m (My rank:#7, $.4m Off)
Dupree really defies all conversation. There’s just nothing here to talk about. Yeah, maybe Wilson’s nose… but other than that, nada.
7. Lady in the Water $7.0m (My rank:#6, $.9m Off)
What a free fall. When they do the E! True Hollywood story this disaster will come right before they say, “Sadly M. Night would turn to strippers and drugs after this.”
8. Little Man $5.1m (My rank: DEAD ON)
I think this is the first time I’ve nailed exact amount and rank. Suck on that Jay Leno!
9. The Devil Wears Prada $4.7m (My rank: Not Ranked)
So of course I follow it up with a whiff here. BUT, I did say long ago that Prada would beat Superman at some point and that has now fully transpired. That puts me right back in the winner’s column.
10. Clerks II $3.9m (My rank:#9, $.5m Off)
Two weeks, $20m, a tidy profit. It’s small ball film and it worked like a charm. Ol’ Kevin might not get another shot at big budget if he continues being good at these.
The new movie book is coming, and it will be better than ever. Stay tuned. -Laremy