Well, the first Box-Office Oracle is complete as the estimates are in. If you didn’t check out my predictions click here to do so, but I pretty much give the low-down below. The good news is I had all of the top 10 even if I was off on the order and way off on some dollars. Here’s what transpired:
1. Flightplan $15.0m (My rank #4, 6.9m off)
Did word of mouth not get out about this one? Were people scared of the Serenity crowds?
2. Serenity $10.1m (My rank #1, 7.4m off)
If Serenity was a stock I’d be poor. This is what I get for believing the breathless hype.
3. Corpse Bride $9.8m (My rank #3, 1.4m off)
Finally, some sanity. Corpse Bride has one more decent week and then it’s adios.
4. History of Violence $8.2m (My rank #6, 3.1m off)
I underrated this one that seems to be building steam like Mystic River.
5. Into the Blue $7.0m (My rank #2, 8.3m off)
This flick was destroyed this weekend; no one fell for the bikini trick. Once again violence beats sex. It opened at 7 million and is sinking fast.
6. Just Like Heaven $6.1m (My rank #7, 1.2m off)
The only romantic comedy on the board got a few dates. In Her Shoes gets those dollars and more this Friday.
7. Exorcism of Emily Rose $4.4m (My rank #8, .2m off)
This is the last we’ll hear from Emily Rose which is fine. I heard she was crazy anyway.
8. Roll Bounce $4.0m (My rank #5, 1.7m off)
Not as strong as I expected, Roll Bounce’s was seen by everyone who wanted to in the first few weeks.
9. The Greatest Game Ever Played $3.7m (My rank #9, .1m off)
This niche film didn’t have much of a chance.
10. The 40 Year-Old Virgin $3.1m (My rank #10, .1m off)
The last top 10 week for 40 Year Old Virgin, the end of an amazing run.
At the end of the day I was around 36% off on the dollars which seems to be industry average. Look for more accurate predictions out of the oracle going forward as my magic 8 ball just got back from the shop.
Weekend Box-Office Estimates