As expected, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania dominated the domestic box office in its opening weekend, collecting $118M through its first four days of release ($104 million 3-day) — the fourth-best President’s Day weekend opening ever, per Deadline. That’s considerably better than the original Ant-Man ($57M) and Ant-Man and the Wasp ($76M), but a far cry from Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness ($187M). That said, Ant-Man was never in the upper tier of Marvel fare.
Internationally, the threequel pulled in $121.3M to bring its worldwide tally to $225.3M. The trade notes these numbers are lower than projections, which is probably the result of Ant-Man’s meager 47% critical score on Rotten Tomatoes. With a B CinemaScore, it’ll be interesting to see if audiences return to Quantumania in the weeks ahead.
Elsewhere, James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water ($2.243 billion) topped Cameron’s Titanic ($2.242 billion) to become the third highest-grossing film of all time worldwide. Domestically, Avatar passed Jurassic World ($653.4M) to become the ninth-highest movie ever where it’ll probably sit until a re-release gives it enough dough to pass Titanic’s domestic cume ($672.1M).
Box Office Results: Domestic Top 10
- Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Dis) 4,345 theaters, Fri $46M, Sat $33.8M Sun $24.2M Mon $14M 3-day $104M, 4-day $118M/Wk 1
- Avatar: The Way of Water (Dis) 2,675 theaters (-390), Fri $1.35M (-21%), Sat $2.7M Sun $1.9M Mon $1.38M 3-day $6.1M (-15%),4-day $7.5M Total $658.4M /Wk 10
- Puss in Boots: Last Wish (Uni) 3,012 theaters (-215), Fri $1.2M (-8%) Sat $2.25M Sun $1.8M Mon $1.7M 3-day $5.26M (-6%), 4-day $6.97M Total $167.7M/Wk 9
- Magic Mike’s Last Dance (WB) 3034 (+1538) theaters, Fri $1.7M (-59%) Sat $2.1M Sun $1.6M 3-day $5.525M (-33%), 4-day $6.3M, total $18.9M/Wk 2
- Knock at the Cabin (Uni) 2,601 (-1056) theaters, Fri $1M (-41%), Sat $1.7M Sun $1.19M Mon $590K 3-day $3.9M (-28%),4-day $4.49M Total $30.96M /Wk 3
- 80 for Brady (Par) 3,119 (-820) theaters, Fri $990K (-46%)Sat $1.5M Sun $1.07M Mon $650K 3-day $3.6M (-38%), 4-day $4.25M/Total $32.8M/Wk 3
- Titanic (Par) 2,132 theaters (-332), Fri $620K (-77%), Sat $955K Sun $715K Mon $430K 3-day $2.29M (-66%), 4-day $2.7M, Total $12.8M/Wk 2
- Marlowe (Briarcliff) 2281 theaters, Fri $540K,Sat $760K Sun $610K Mon $350K 3-day $1.9M 4-day $2.26M Total $3M/Wk 1
- Missing (Sony) 1,516 (-799) theaters, Fri $425K (-40%), Sat $760K Sun $540K Mon $300K 3 day $1.72M (-32%) 4 day $2.025M Total $29.9M/Wk 5
- A Man Called Otto (Sony) 1,725 (-1,099) theaters, Fri $400K (-50%) Sat $683K Sun $517K $300K Mon 3-day $1.6M (-38%) 4-day $1.9M Total $60.9M/Wk 8