Searchlight Pictures has finally revealed the first official photo from Tom George’s upcoming directorial debut feature, which has now been titled See How They Run. In addition, the full cast and character details have also been announced, confirming that the film is currently slated for a wide theatrical release in 2022.
“Making my debut feature with a company like Searchlight and this incredible cast has been a total dream,” George said in a statement (via Variety). “I’m so excited to bring this thrilling, smart, funny murder mystery to audiences. Doing so with the company behind such brilliant ensemble films as ‘Jojo Rabbit,’ ‘Birdman’ and ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’ has really been the perfect fit.”
The photo, which you can check out below, provides us our first look at Oscar winner Sam Rockwell, and Oscar nominee Saoirse Ronan, who have been set for the leading roles of Inspector Stoppard, and Constable Stalker, respectively.
Here’s the first look at SEE HOW THEY RUN starring Saoirse Ronan, Sam Rockwell, Adrien Brody and David Oyelowo.
In Theatres 2022 pic.twitter.com/Qj569l0Ppr
— Searchlight Pictures (@searchlightpics) July 29, 2021
RELATED: The Night House Trailer Previews Searchlight’s Psychological Horror Film
See How They Run will also star David Oyelowo, Adrien Brody, Ruth Wilson, Harris Dickinson, Sian Clifford, Jacob Fortune-Lloyd, Shirley Henderson, Reece Shearsmith, Paul Chahidi, Pearl Chanda, Charlie Cooper and Pippa Bennett-Warner.
The official character descriptions for the cast are as follows:
- Rockwell’s Inspector Stoppard, a seasoned official who thinks he’s seen it all… until now.
- Ronan’s Constable Stalker, the indefatigably ambitious rookie on the case.
- Oyelowo’s Mervyn Cocker-Norris, celebrated writer, charged with adapting the successful stage play into a film.
- Brody’s Leo Köpernick, an unscrupulous film director with a flair for drama.
- Wilson’s Petula Spencer, a West End theatre impresario eager for her starring role.
- Shearsmith’s John Woolf, the esteemed film producer looking to shoot magic adapting a popular stage play to film.
- Clifford’s Edana Romney is John Woolf’s wife.
- Henderson’s Dame is known to all by name alone.
- Cooper’s Dennis the Usher, who witnesses more than a curtain call.
- Fortune-Lloyd’s Gio is the inscrutably handsome taxidermist hiding a secret lover.
- Chahidi’s Fellowes is a butler working for the Dame.
- Chanda’s Sheila Sim, a celebrated actress from the play hoping to make the leap to film.
- Dickinson’s Dickie Attenborough is Sheila’s suspicious husband.
- Bennett-Warner’s Ann Saville is Woolf’s assistant and mistress.
In the West End of 1950s London, plans for a movie version of a smash-hit play come to an abrupt halt after a pivotal member of the crew is murdered. When world-weary Inspector Stoppard and eager rookie Constable Stalker take on the case, the two find themselves thrown into a puzzling whodunit within the glamorously sordid theater underground, investigating the mysterious homicide at their own peril.
RELATED: Knives Out 2 Set Photos Confirm Ethan Hawke’s Casting
“We have been enamored with Tom George and his work with the BBC for years,” Searchlight heads of film production Katie Goodson-Thomas and DanTram Nguyen said. “His knack for bringing stellar performances from an ensemble cast across multiple genres made him the perfect choice to lead the talented team of See How They Run. We are pleased to welcome several members of the Searchlight family back to the fold like Saoirse, Sam, Adrien and David for this entertaining whodunit.”
See How They Run is directed by Tom George from a screenplay written by Mark Chappell. It will be produced by Damian Jones with Head of Development & Production Katie Goodson-Thomas, Director of Production Richard Ruiz, and Senior Development Executive Pete Spencer set to oversee the project in behalf of Searchlight Pictures UK.