Godzilla vs. Kong remains king of our domestic box office update
Godzilla vs. Kong topped the box office for a third consecutive weekend, hauling in $7.7M (-44%) for an $80M domestic total. Per Deadline, the film continues to rake in gargantuan business overseas as well where it added $12.2M to bring its worldwide total to a colossal (by pandemic standards) $390M, $177M of which comes from China.
The film is currently streaming on HBO Max for two more weeks after which it will feature exclusively in theaters for another month.
Otherwise, this was another fairly quiet weekend at the domestic box office with only one new release, In the Earth, opening with $506K from 547 theaters.
Internationally, Toho’s Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet opened in Japan and China, along with a handful of smaller markets, and collected $35-38M. On IMAX, the 24th film in the popular anime franchise collects $1.2M from 38 screens, making it the third-best debut in the pandemic era on the large-screen format.
WB’s Mortal Kombat, which was supposed to release on April 16 in the U.S. before the studio moved it to April 23, collected $5.7M from 6,128 screens in 28 offshore markets, raising its international cume to $19.2M.
Finally, Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway gained an additional $2.2M in Australia, where it has grossed $13.5M to date. All told, the family flick has earned $14.7M worldwide.
BOX OFFICE TOP 10
1) Godzilla vs. Kong (WB/Leg) 3,100 theaters (-83)/Fri $2.1M/Sat $3.6M/Sun $2M/3-day $7.7M (-44%)/Total: $80.5M/Wk 3
2) Nobody (Uni) 2,405 theaters (+5) Fri $730K/Sat $1.1M/Sun $690K/3-day: $2.52M (-5%)/Total $19.05M/Wk 4
3) The Unholy (Sony) 2,057 theaters (+207) //Fri $601K/Sat $902M/Sun $557K/$2.06M (-14%)/Total: $9.56M/Wk 3
4) Raya and the Last Dragon (Dis) 1,945 theaters (+4), Fri $471K/Sat $885K/Sun $544k/ 3-day: $1.9M (-14%), Total: $37.6M/Wk 7
5) Tom & Jerry (WB) 2,028 theaters (-52), 3-day: $1.09M (-10%)/Total: $42.5M/Wk 8
6) Voyagers (LG/AGC) 1,996 theaters (+24) Fri $250K/Sat $338K/Sun $202K/3-day: $790K (-43%)/Total: $2.55M/Wk 2
7) The Girl Who Believes in Miracles (Atlas) 1,012 theaters (+112) Fri $155K/Sat $244K/Sun $162K/ 3-day $561K (even)/Total: $1.8M/Wk 3
8) In the Earth (NEON) 547 theaters, /Fri $205K/Sat $185K/Sun $116K/3-day: $506K/Wk 1
9) The Courier (RSA) 922 theaters (-85),/Fri $146,7K/Sat $197,5K/Sun $118,5K/3-day: $462,8K (+6%)/Total: $5.4M/Wk 5
10) Croods: A New Age (Uni) 1,169 theaters (+30), Fri $65K/Sat $150K/Sun $95K/3-day: $310K (+27%)/Total: $57.1M/Wk 21