Quentin Tarantino’s Star Trek may still happen
Speaking with /Film, Quentin Tarantino dropped a few nuggets of information regarding his “bananas” Star Trek film, which, according to the iconic director, is still very much in the works.
“It’s a very big possibility. I haven’t been dealing with those guys for a while cause I’ve been making my movie. But we’ve talked about a story and a script. The script has been written and when I emerge my head like Punxsutawney Phil, post-Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, we’ll pick up talking about it again.”
Said script was written by Mark L. Smith, who penned The Revenant. Smith came aboard the project in December of 2017, after which talk of Tarantino’s Star Trek all but ceased.
As previously reported, the new take on the Enterprise will shoot for an R rating, a notion that has irked some of Star Trek’s core fanbase. However, last year actor Karl Urban, who plays Dr. McCoy in the newer films, explained that the movie would not earn the harder rating via vulgarity or language, but rather through more gritty realism.
“You shouldn’t worry that it is going to be full of obscenity and stuff,” Urban said. “He wants an R-rating to really make those beats of consequence land. If it’s not PG, if someone gets sucked out into space, which we have all seen before, we might see them get disemboweled first…It allows some some breadth…gives him some leeway to do that.”
Tarantino’s new film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood opens in theaters on July 26.