Director Johannes Roberts Teases Resident Evil Reboot

ON

Director Johannes Roberts Teases Resident Evil Reboot

Director Johannes Roberts teases Resident Evil reboot

When asked about the current progress of Constantin Films’ forthcoming Resident Evil reboot, 47 Meters Down director Johannes Roberts told Screen Rant that the project is still moving forward and is in active development. He also teased about the reboot’s new storyline, revealing that it will be much closer to its video game roots.

“We are in active development of that at the moment,” Roberts said. “I pitched them a take, and they really loved it. So, we are just gearing up on that as we speak, really. I’m in the office all the time there. So, yeah, it’s great. It’s gonna be super scary. It’s super, super scary. And it’s just getting back to the roots of the game. I think, at the moment, I’m not really allowed to say much more than that. But it’s gonna be a lot of fun.”

Last year, it was reported that Roberts had been tapped to helm and write the Resident Evil reboot. Though previously attached James Wan’s Atomic Monster has dropped out of the project.

RELATED: Resident Evil Franchise Heading to Netflix as Scripted Series

The last installment of the first series of Resident Evil movies, helmed by Paul W.S. Anderson and starring his wife Milla Jovovich, earned $26.8 million domestically. Internationally, however, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter grossed an impressive $285.4 million, with $160 million of that coming from China. The $40 million-budgeted sixth film, distributed by Sony‘s Screen Gems, has earned $312.2 million worldwide.

Based on Capcom’s hugely popular video games, the Resident Evil movies have earned $1.2 billion worldwide to date, making it the highest-grossing film series to be based on a video game.

 

Box Office

Weekend: Dec. 12, 2019, Dec. 15, 2019

New Releases