Hideo Kojima is known for his unique video game worlds, but the creator recently took to Twitter to speak about one world that he put on hold because of how it reminded him of another franchise. According to Kojima himself, he had an idea for a project that was similar to Prime Video’s The Boys, the popular superhero show based on the comic book series.
and put it on hold because the concept was similar (different settings and tricks). A buddy (male/female) thing with a special detective squad facing off against legendary heroes behind the scenes. I was thinking of Mads as the lead.
— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) June 26, 2022
Kojima spoke about these in a few different recent tweets. First, he spoke about how he left the first season after three episodes and said that this was around when he was about to start a project that he had been “warming up for a long time.” Kojima didn’t go into specifics, but he had plans for a detective squad (starring Death Stranding and Hannibal star Mads Mikkelsen) to go up against “legendary heroes behind the scenes.”
He continued in a later tweet that it was supposed to be a “hard-boiled action film” with an “astonishingly black joke setup and a worldview that is the opposite of what we are used to.” And while the concept of having humans go up against superhumans was like the one found in The Boys, the “setting, gimmicks, and tone” were all very different.
However, he said it was “put on hold” because the idea was too similar to what The Boys ended up being. He followed up by saying none of it left his head, so he didn’t waste resources on this failed project.
It seems as though this was only just one of Kojima’s ideas and not something in the developer’s immediate future. Kojima Productions is currently working on a game with Xbox, which is reportedly a horror game called Overdose. Actor Norman Reedus also repeatedly stated that they just started working on a Death Stranding sequel, something Kojima lent some credence to with his cheeky response.