As rumored, a new Nintendo Switch is releasing later this year, but it doesn’t live up to the specs of the alleged Nintendo Switch Pro. Instead, Nintendo will release the Nintendo Switch OLED model, which is the same system with just an OLED screen and expanded internal memory. The upgraded system will cost $349.99 and releases on October 8, 2021.
All told, the new system features a 7-inch OLED screen, a wider stand, a dock, a wired LAN port, 64 GB of internal storage, and enhanced audio. Rumored upgrades such as performance boosts for current games or 4K gaming did not pan out. The new stand can be adjusted for multiple viewing angles for tabletop mode and the improved speakers will give players better audio than before.
Check out a trailer for the new system below:
Meet the newest entry to the #NintendoSwitch family! Nintendo Switch (OLED model) brings the versatility of the Nintendo Switch experience with a vibrant 7-inch OLED screen, a wide adjustable stand, and more. Nintendo Switch (OLED model) releases on 10/8.https://t.co/zRpGxakJDn pic.twitter.com/Tsc55r35ay
— Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica) July 6, 2021
Here’s how Nintendo describes the new features of the Nintendo Switch OLED model:
- 7-inch OLED screen – Feast your eyes on vivid colors and crisp contrast when you play on-the-go. See the difference the vibrant screen makes, whether you’re racing at top speed or squaring off against enemies.
- Wide, Adjustable Stand – Flip out the sturdy stand for easy viewing in Tabletop mode.
- Find your best angle – Adjust the stand to find the optimal viewing angle—perfect for a quick multiplayer game with a buddy.
- Built-in wired LAN port – Connect online** using the dock’s LAN port when playing in TV mode.
- 64 GB internal storage – Save games to your system with 64 GB of internal storage.
- Enhanced audio – Enjoy enhanced audio from the system’s onboard speakers.
The new Switch OLED model will release October 8, 2021. There will be white and neon red/neon blue colors.