Last year’s officially licensed LEGO Super Mario sets had Nintendo fans young and old reaching for their wallets and piggy banks, respectively. Today, the two companies have revealed that they’re joining forces once again to confirm exactly how they’re bringing the true hero of the franchise – Luigi – to plastic brick lovers everywhere. Previously, we knew that a Luigi Starter Course set was on the way, but not exactly what it would entail.
A whole batch of new LEGO Super Mario sets are dropping on August 1, including that Luigi Starter Course set that provides a little something extra above the usual LEGO fayre. Owners of that new set can pair the new Luigi model with the Mario from the original Mario Starter Course set via Bluetooth, so two players can collect virtual coins as a team.
A total of seven new sets (detailed below) are on the horizon for the LEGO Super Mario lineup, as well as a third series of budget-priced character packs.
- Luigi Starter Course – $59.99
- Bowser’s Airship Expansion Set – $99.99
- Boss Sumo Bro Topple Tower Expansion Set – $29.99
- Lakitu Sky World Expansion Set – $39.99
- Reznor Knockdown Expansion Set – $69.99
- Frog Mario Power-Up Pack – $9.99
- Bee Mario Power-Up Pack – $9.99
- Character Packs – Series 3 (10 different characters, including Galoomba, Parachute Bob-omb, Crowber, Boo, Torpedo Ted Amp, Bony Beetle, 1-Up Mushroom, Scuttlebug and Swoop) – $4.99
The Bowser’s Airship Expansion Set looks to be the crown jewel of the wave, which is hardly surprising, given the price. That set will allow players to attack the ship when it’s configured as an airship, or set it up to be used as part of an existing course.
The new wave of LEGO Super Mario sets will drop online and in stores on August 1.