Steven Spielberg promises one big thing for Indiana Jones 5
With the 73-year-old Harrison Ford signed up for Lucasfilm‘s Indiana Jones 5, many fans are wondering/worried that director Steven Spielberg plans to have the same fate of Han Solo in The Force Awakens befall our favorite globe-trotting archaeologist. Well worry no longer, as the legendary filmmaker has told The Hollywood Reporter that he is not only “super excited” about the fifth installment but that adventure will still have a name at the end of the movie and that name will be Indiana Jones!
“I think this one is straight down the pike for the fans,” said Spielberg, who would not reveal plot details, with one exception: “The one thing I will tell you is I’m not killing off Harrison [Ford] at the end of it.”
That’s great news for fans who would likely balk at such an idea, the same way they would be furious if James Bond accidentally slipped in the shower and cracked his skull at the end of a (hypothetical) final 007 movie. Even if this turns out to be the last time Ford puts on the bullwhip and fedora, it doesn’t mean the filmmakers have to have the death-defying character bite the dust.
“The opportunity to work with Steven again on this character which has brought pleasure to so many… Not to mention me,” Harrison Ford said previously. “It’s fun, it’s great fun to play this character. It’s great fun to work with Steven, I’m looking forward to it.”
Franchise veterans Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will produce Indiana Jones 5, which will see both Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg return to the franchise. John Williams is expected to once again provide the music, while screenwriter David Koepp (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Jurassic Park) is signed to pen the script.
The movie is set for a July 19, 2019 release date.