John Mulaney’s Sack Lunch Bunch heading to Comedy Central
John Mulaney’s musical comedy special Sack Lunch Bunch was one of the biggest surprise hits upon its December debut on Netflix last year and now fans can look forward to seeing more as Comedy Central has inked a deal with the Emmy-winning comedian for two new specials, including the upcoming holiday season!
The new deal between the ViacomCBS-owned network and the two-time Emmy winner marks Mulaney’s return to Comedy Central for the first time in eight years where he last did a special in 2012.
In addition to his Emmys, Mulaney has won a WGA and a Peabody Award. Late last year, John Mulaney & The Sack Lunch Bunch, written by Mulaney & Markia Sawyer, with music composed by Eli Bolin and directed by Rhys Thomas, premiered to excellent reviews from critics and audiences alike, currently maintaining a 96 percent approval rating from critics on review aggregate Rotten Tomatoes.
“We couldn’t be more excited about John’s return to Comedy Central and hope this is just the beginning of a long-standing partnership,” Chris McCarthy, President of ViacomCBS Entertainment & Youth Brands, said in a statement.
“I was an intern at Comedy Central when I was barely older than the kids in the Sack Lunch Bunch,” Mulaney said in a statement. “I wasn’t a very good intern, so I am psyched they hired me again. We are thrilled to bring these specials to Comedy Central: a place where I have had so many good times.”
The former Saturday Night Live writer (and subsequent three-time host), has been one of the most successful comedians of the past decade with specials including “Kid Gorgeous”, “Comeback Kid” and “New in Town.” He also previously starred in the Broadway hit, “Oh, Hello” alongside Nick Kroll and was heard in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, which won the Golden Globe® for Best Animated Feature Film. He has written and appears in IFC’s Documentary Now and Netflix’s Big Mouth.