Walt Disney Animation Announces Wreck-It Ralph 2 for 2018!
Walt Disney Animation Studios took to Facebook today to officially announced that Wreck-It Ralph 2 is on the way and that the film will be released on March 9, 2018. Star John C. Reilly will return to voice the title character along with Sarah Silverman as the girl with the game-winning glitch, Vanellope von Schweetz.
Rich Moore (Zootopia, The Simpsons) will co-direct the movie with Phil Johnston (writer, Wreck-It Ralph, Cedar Rapids), with Clark Spencer (Zootopia, Bolt) set to produce.
“From the moment we started working on the first ‘Wreck-It Ralph,’ we knew there were so many possibilities with these characters,” said Moore, who has been developing it since shortly after the release of the first film, and while directing this year’s critically-acclaimed hit Zootopia with Byron Howard. “This time, Ralph’s wrecking wreaks havoc on the Web—as only he can do. Characters we loved in the first film are back and we are ecstatic to be working with them—and the actors who voice them—once again.”
“The world of the internet is the perfect place to send Ralph and Vanellope,” said Johnston. “The scope and scale are so vast and the possibilities for comedy are endless.”
“Ralph is a character very near and dear to my heart,” added Reilly. “I’m really looking forward to playing the big lug again. Making the first ‘Wreck-It Ralph’ was one of the most special experiences I’ve ever had and I’m really looking forward to bringing him back to life. So many kids I’ve met all over the world are excited to see him again, too. They tell me all the time!”
There has been talk of a Wreck-It Ralph sequel since before the first one came out in 2012 to rave reviews and earned over $470 million in worldwide box office, hailed as “Toy Story with video games.” Moore has previously stated there have been discussions with the highly-protective Nintendo to have some of their signature characters (Mario, Luigi, Link, Zelda) share the screen with Ralph & Co. for the sequel.
“We’ll really come up with something good for Mario to do [in the next film],” said Moore. “To be able to present him in the sequel, would be great.”
Moore previously said he wanted to dig into Disney’s own homegrown video game property TRON, whose third film was put on indefinite hold, possibly leaving the door open for a definitive Wreck-It Ralph crossover.
“I can’t specifically remember why that didn’t happen,” Moore explained in 2013. “Of course, with a sequel, I’m hoping that we can find a way to see Tron himself in that movie.”
There is no word yet on whether original co-stars Jack McBrayer and Jane Lynch will join Reilly in returning for the sequel.