D23: Tom Holland Addresses Spider-Man Studio Turmoil

ON

D23: Tom Holland Addresses Spider-Man Turmoil

D23: Tom Holland addresses Spider-Man studio turmoil

Following the shocking news earlier this week that Disney and Sony were cutting ties over Spider-Man and Sony’s follow-up statement, Tom Holland has finally addressed the situation to the crowd at D23 during a panel for the Pixar movie Onward, in which he voices the lead.

“It’s been a crazy week but I wanted you to know I am grateful from the bottom of my heart,” Holland told the crowd. “I love you 3,000.”

Do you hope Holland will stay on as Spider-Man even if a deal can’t be reached between the two studios? Let us know in the comments below!

RELATED: Stage 6 Films Developing Searching Sequel

It was initially reported that the fallout between the studios came after Sony turned down Disney’s offer that future Spider-Man movies be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement. In turn, Sony offered to keep the same arrangement under the current terms with Marvel receiving about 5% of first-dollar gross, and Disney rejecting the offer.

Sony later stated that the initial news reports had “mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise,” saying that they are disappointed “but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer for our next live-action Spider-Man film. We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him – including all their newly added Marvel properties – do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.”

Pre-order Spider-Man: Far From Home here.

Earlier this year Avengers: Endgame (also featuring Spider-Man) became the highest-grossing film of all time, followed by Spider-Man: Far From Home surpassing Skyfall to become the highest-grossing film ever for Sony, both produced by Feige.

While Sony has two more Spider-Man movies in the works, Jon Watts, who directed Spider-Man: Homecoming and Far From Home, has apparently not signed on yet for the two future movies. Watts is being courted for other projects, so there is no guarantee the director will return for a third Spider-Man movie, despite previously reporting that he was signed on for two more.

RELATED: Black Panther 2: Martin Freeman Says Production Could Begin in 2021

Sony’s upcoming slate includes the Venom sequel, starring Tom Hardy and directed by Andy Serkis, as well as Jared Leto’s MorbiusKraven the Hunter, and a spinoff featuring Silver Sable and Black Cat.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

(Photo Credit: Getty Images)

Box Office

Weekend: Oct. 17, 2019, Oct. 20, 2019

New Releases