Chris Rock’s Saw to begin shooting next week
After being seemingly dead for seven years, the Saw franchise burst back to life in 2017 with the surprisingly good reboot Jigsaw. Thanks to its box office success and better reviews than most of its predecessors, a ninth film was ordered with comedian Chris Rock (Top Five) set to write the story treatment and three-time Saw director Darren Lynn Bousman set to helm. Now Bousman has taken to Twitter to announce the next film will begin shooting next week!
“When Chris Rock came to us and described in chilling detail his fantastic vision that reimagines and spins-off the world of the notorious Jigsaw Killer, we were all-in,” Joe Drake, Chairman of Lionsgate’s Motion Picture Group, previously said in a statement. “Saw is one of the highest grossing horror franchises of all-time and it’s one of Lionsgate’s most successful film series. This upcoming film will still be as mind bending and intense as all the previous Saw films. Chris conceived this idea and it will be completely reverential to the legacy of the material while reinvigorating the brand with his wit, creative vision and passion for this classic horror franchise.”
“I’ve been a fan of Saw since the first film in 2004,” Rock said in a previous statement. “I am excited by the opportunity to take this to a really intense and twisted new place.”
The film will be produced by longtime Saw producers Mark Burg and Oren Koules – who are back once again to shepherd this re-imagining, which will be directed by Darren Lynn Bousman, who helmed three of the most successful films in the Saw franchise. The screenplay is based on a story conceived by Chris Rock and written by Pete Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg (Jigsaw). The film will be executive produced by Chris Rock, long-time Saw executive producer Daniel Heffner and the original creators of Saw, James Wan and Leigh Whannell.
The new Saw film will be released on October 23, 2020.