Doctor Sleep director Mike Flanagan took to Twitter to reveal that filming on Netflix’s newest horror series Midnight Mass has finally been completed after getting delayed earlier this year due to the ongoing pandemic. Describing the series as “the best production experience,” of his career, Flanagan went on to detail the process that they went through in order to ensure the smooth flow of production as well as the health and safety of the cast and crew. Check out his full Twitter thread below!
That’s a wrap on MIDNIGHT MASS. It has been an extraordinary, unprecedented production, and I cannot be prouder of this amazing cast and crew. In fact – and I do not say this lightly – this has been the best production experience of my career.
— Mike Flanagan (@flanaganfilm) December 16, 2020
“That’s a wrap on Midnight Mass,” Flanagan said in his long Twitter thread. “It has been an extraordinary, unprecedented production, and I cannot be prouder of this amazing cast and crew. In fact – and I do not say this lightly – this has been the best production experience of my career.”
He continued, “We began prepping this series in December, 2019. We were mere days away from shooting when the production was shut down in March 2020 because of the pandemic. We left our sets standing, dropped everything and frantically got our cast and crew to their homes as the lockdown began.”
“We resumed prep in July 2020, and actually began shooting on August 17th. By the time certain other productions were getting headlines for “leading the charge” and “reigniting Vancouver production” in early September, we’d already been quietly shooting for several weeks. Our COVID safety protocols were thorough, scientific, and strictly enforced. Our precautions paid off – we did not miss a single day of production, and unlike a lot of other shows, we did not shut down once. Not one time. 83 shooting days, without interruption.”
He also went on to praise and show gratitude to the cast and crew for their cooperation and hard work, “This series has been a dream project of mine for many, many years. It is the most personal story I’ve ever told. I’ve been reluctant to direct a whole season again after HILL HOUSE, but I’m so glad I did in this case. I am so lucky to have worked with this cast and crew.”
This marks the third collaboration between Flanagan and Netflix after working together on the popular horror anthology series The Haunting of Hill House in 2018 which was recently followed up by The Haunting of Bly Manor last October, Both seasons starred Victoria Pedretti, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Henry Thomas and Carla Gugino.
(Photo by GP Images/Getty Images for Warner Bros. Canada)