Cast Revealed for CBS All Access Mystery Series $1
Cast revealed for CBS All Access mystery series $1
CBS All Access has confirmed the cast members joining its upcoming original series $1, a mystery set in a small rust belt town in post-recession America, where a one-dollar bill changing hands connects a group of characters involved in a shocking multiple murder. The path of the dollar bill and point of view in each episode paint a picture of a modern American town with deep class and cultural divides that spill out into the open as the town’s secrets get revealed. Production on the series begins in late March on location in Pittsburgh.
The cast includes John Carroll Lynch (American Horror Story, Zodiac), Nathaniel Martello-White (Collateral, Guerrilla), Philip Ettinger (Indignation, Girls), Chris Denham (Billions), Kirrilee Berger (Just Add Magic, K.C. Undercover) and Gracie Lawrence (The Good Wife, The Americans) with Leslie Odom Jr. (Hamilton), Jeff Perry (Scandal, Nash Bridges) and Sturgill Simpson set to recur.
- John Carroll Lynch will portray Bud Carl, owner of the family business, Carl Steel, and beloved around town. He’s known to most of his employees as “Pop.”
- Nathaniel Martello-White will portray Jake Noveer, a resourceful, willful and mostly good-hearted man who left the Braden Police Department to investigate a child disappearance and now works exclusively as a private investigator
- Philip Ettinger will portray Garrett Drimmer, a high school dropout and former hard partier who presently works in the lowest paid position at Carl Steel. Now, he is a hardworking and devoted single father trying to make positive changes in his life.
- Chris Denham will portray Police Chief Peter Trask, the town’s somewhat green but very capable young police chief who used to be best friends and partners with Jake.
- Kirrilee Berger will portray Danielle “Dannie” Furlbee, the daughter of the richest man in town and the valedictorian of her high school in the summer between senior year of high school and college. More book-smart than street-smart, she is confident in her intelligence and appearance.
- Gracie Lawrence will portray Julie Gardner, Dannie’s best friend who is savvy and quick with a joke but lives a little bit in Dannie’s shadow.
- Leslie Odom Jr. will portray Randall Abatsy, new in town, he stands out as larger than life with his politician-like charisma and is known for his charitable work and lavish theme parties.
- Jeff Perry will portray Charles, a retired con man from Braden with declining health.
- Sturgill Simpson will portray Ken Fry, a resident of Braden who used to work at the steel mill until he was let go by “Pop” Carl. He now makes his living holding a never-ending yard sale with items stolen from peoples’ front yards and porches. $1 will serve as Simpson’s acting debut. He is known for his most recent album, A Sailor’s Guide to Earth, which won the award for Best Country Album at the 59th annual Grammy Awards.
$1 will be produced by CBS Television Studios. Matt DeRoss of Anonymous Content, Alexandre Dauman, Rafael Yglesias and Jason Mosberg will serve as executive producers, and Craig Zobel (Compliance, The Leftovers) will direct all episodes and executive produce.