Exclusive CS Video: 30 Minutes or Less Director Ruben Fleischer
August 5, 2011
A couple of years back, director Ruben Fleischer burst onto the scene with the zombie comedy Zombieland, a breakout hit made for far less money than most studio movies.
Fleischer's back with the new action-comedy 30 Minutes or Less, once again teaming with Zombieland star Jesse Eisenberg, who plays Nick, a pizza delivery guy who gets knocked out by two masked men who strap a bomb to him and force him to rob a bank for them with his estranged friend Chet (Aziz Ansari) to help him. One of those masked men is Danny McBride's Dwayne, who wants to hire an assassin to have his oppressive military father (Fred Ward) killed so he can get his inheritance. He needs the money from the bank robbery to pay an assassin, played by Michael Peña, and he's aided by his own best friend, played by Nick Swardson.
Besides giving Fleischer a chance to work with bonafide comedians like McBride, Ansari and Swardson, who bring a lot to the movie's raunchy comedy with their hilarious ad-libbing, 30 Minutes or Less also lets him up the action factor to create one of the fastest-paced movies of the summer.
ComingSoon.net sat down with Fleischer at the junket a few weeks back, and in the video interview below, we spoke with Fleischer about:
* What attracted him to it as his second movie
* How he felt he needed to develop the script once he came on board
* If he thought of Jesse or Aziz or anyone else when he first wrote the script
* Talking about the complexities of Nick Swardson's character in the movie
* Whether there were as many d*ck and p*ssy jokes before Danny came on board
* A very specific joke made by Jesse that refers to another movie
* Why the movie moves at such a fast pace
* How he decided on some of the things to cut out
* The musical choices for the movie
* Talking a bit about his next movie "Gangster Squad"
* We also get him to crack about what major franchise he'd consider directing—it may surprise you!
30 Minutes or Less opens next Friday, July 12. Look for our interviews with the cast sometime before then.