The Criterion Collection has announced two new titles, two Blu-ray upgrades and a seven-film box set for release this July. Check out the new cover art along with a full list of extra features for each in the gallery viewer below!
Debuting in the collection are David Cronenberg's Scanners
and Lawrence Kasdan's The Big Chill
as well as a set of Jacques Demy films that includes Lola
, Bay of Angels
, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
, The Young Girls of Rochefort
, Un Chambre en Ville
and Donkey Skin
. Erik Skjoldbjærg's Insomnia
and Robert Bresson's Pickpocket
, meanwhile, are receiving HD upgrades.
Special features for the new releases are listed as follows:
- New, restored 2K digital film transfer, supervised by director David Cronenberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- "The 'Scanners' Way," a new documentary on the film’s special effects
- New interview with actor Michael Ironside
- "The Ephemerol Diaries," a 2012 interview with actor and artist Stephen Lack
- Excerpt from a 1981 interview with Cronenberg on the CBC’s "The Bob McLean Show"
- "Stereo" (1969), Cronenberg’s first feature film
- A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kim Newman
THE BIG CHILL
- New, restored 4K digital film transfer, supervised by cinematographer John Bailey and approved by director Lawrence Kasdan, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Alternate remastered 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
- Reunion with cast and crew, including Kasdan, actors Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Kevin Kline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly, and JoBeth Williams, from the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival
- Documentary from 1998 on the making of the film
- Deleted scenes
- A booklet featuring an essay by writer, director, and actor Lena Dunham
THE ESSENTIAL JACQUES DEMY
- New 2K digital restorations of all six films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays of "Lola" and "Bay of Angels" and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and 2.0 surround soundtracks on the Blu-rays of "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg," "The Young Girls of Rochefort," "Donkey Skin," and "Une chambre en ville"
- Two documentaries by filmmaker Agnès Varda: "The World of Jacques Demy" (1995) and "The Young Girls Turn 25" (1993)
- Four short films by director Jacques Demy: "Les horizons morts" (1951), "Le sabotier du Val de Loire" (1956), "Ars" (1959), and "La luxure" (1962)
- "Jacques Demy A to Z," a new visual essay by film critic James Quandt
- Two archival interviews from French television with Demy and composer Michel Legrand, one on "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" and the other on "The Young Girls of Rochefort"
- French television interview from 1962 with actor Jeanne Moreau on the set of "Bay of Angels"
- "Once Upon a Time . . . 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg,'” a 2008 documentary
- French television program about the making of "Donkey Skin"
- "'Donkey Skin' Illustrated," a video program on the many versions of Charles Perrault’s fairy tale
- “'Donkey Skin' and the Thinkers," a video program on the themes of the film, featuring critic Camille Tabouley
- New video conversation with Demy biographer Jean-Pierre Berthomé and costume designer Jacqueline Moreau
- New interviews with author Marie Colmant and film scholar Rodney Hill
- Q&A with Demy from the 1987 Midnight Sun Film Festival, as well as an audio Q&A with him from the American Film Institute in 1971
- Archival audio recordings of interviews with Demy, Legrand, and actor Catherine Deneuve at the National Film Theatre in London
- Interview with actor Anouk Aimée conducted by Varda in 2012
- Interview from 2012 with Varda on the origin of Lola’s song
- Video programs on the restorations of "Lola," "Bay of Angels," "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg," and "Une chambre en ville"
- New English subtitle translations
- A booklet featuring essays by critics Ginette Vincendeau, Terrence Rafferty, Jim Ridley, Jonathan Rosenbaum, Anne Duggan, and Geoff Andrew, and a postscript by Berthom
- New 4K digital restoration, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New conversation between director Erik Skjoldbjærg and actor Stellan Skarsgård
- Trailer and TV spot
- One Blu-ray and one DVD, with all content available in both formats
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Jonathan Romney
- New, 2K digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary by film scholar James Quandt
- Introduction by writer-director Paul Schrader
- "The Models of 'Pickpocket,' a 2003 documentary by Babette Mangolte that features actors from the film
- Interview from 1960 with director Robert Bresson, from the French television program "Cinépanorama"
- Q&A on "Pickpocket" from 2000 with actor Marika Green and filmmakers Paul Vecchiali and Jean-Pierre Améris
- Footage of the sleight-of-hand artist and "Pickpocket" consultant Kassagi from a 1962 episode of the French television show "La piste aux étoiles"
- A booklet featuring an essay by novelist and critic Gary Indiana