Following word yesterday that director Steven Spielberg’s Robopocalypse had been put on indefinite hold, EW managed to get an update straight from the man himself. The Lincoln director assures fans that the project is still moving forward but that he has altered his concept for how to approach the adaptation.
We found that the film was costing a lot of money,” Spielberg explains, “and I found a better way to tell the story more economically but also much more personally. I found the personal way into ‘Robopocalypse’, and so I just told everybody to go find other jobs, Im starting on a new script and well have this movie back on its feet soon.
Spielberg goes on to say that the delay will likely be in area of six to eight months. With an originally planned release date of April 25, 2014, we could see Robopocalypse on the big screen as soon as October, 2014.
Anne Hathaway, Chris Hemsworth and Ben Wishaw had been rumored to star in the film, based on Daniel H. Wilson’s science fiction novel. The book, released in 2011, is officially described as follows:
Not far into our future, the dazzling technology that runs our world turns against us. Controlled by a childlikeyet massively powerfulartificial intelligence known as Archos, the global network of machines on which our world has grown dependent suddenly becomes an implacable, deadly foe. At Zero Hourthe moment the robots attackthe human race is almost annihilated, but as its scattered remnants regroup, humanity for the first time unites in a determined effort to fight back. This is the oral history of that conflict, told by an international cast of survivors who experienced this long and bloody confrontation with the machines.
Check back for further updates on Robopocalypse as soon as they become available.