It had been a while since I last updated the list of films submitted for the 2014 Oscar race for Best Foreign Language Feature, but today I bring you 21 new titles as the list has now grown to 57 total films.
Perhaps the most notable of the films added today is Thomas Vinterberg‘s The Hunt starring Mads Mikkelsen. The film played the 2012 Cannes Film Festival but it wasn’t released in the Netherlands until late October last year, which means it missed the eligibility date by about a month. The Hunt won Mikkelsen the award for Best Actor in Cannes last year and I finally saw it earlier this year, calling it “one of the best films of the year” with a “masterclass performance from Mikkelsen.” You can read my full review here.
Additional titles worth of note include Hong Kong’s submission of Wong Kar-wai‘s The Grandmaster and Italy’s submission of Paolo Sorrentino‘s The Great Beauty, which I sadly missed at both Cannes and Toronto this year, but have heard great things.
I have included today’s new submissions directly below, or you can click here for a look at the current list of films submitted in its entirety.
- Bangladesh, Television (dir. Mostofa Sarwar Farooki)
- Belgium, The Broken Circle Breakdown (dir. Felix van Groeningen)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina, An Episode in the Life of an Iron Picker (dir. Danis TanoviÄ‡)
- Brazil, Neighbouring Sounds (dir. Kleber MendonÃ§a Filho)
- Canada, Gabrielle (dir. Louise Archambault)
- Colombia, La Playa DC (dir. Juan AndrÃ©s Arango)
- Czech Republic, Burning Bush (dir. Agnieszka Holland)
- Denmark, The Hunt (dir. Thomas Vinterberg)
- Hong Kong, The Grandmaster (dir. Wong Kar-wai)
- Iceland, Of Horses and Men (dir. Benedikt Erlingsson)
- India, The Good Road (dir. Gyan Correa)
- Italy, The Great Beauty (dir. Paolo Sorrentino)
- Lebanon, Ghadi (dir. Amin Dora)
- Norway, I Am Yours (dir. Iram Haq)
- Russia, Stalingrad (dir. Fedor Bondarchuk)
- Slovakia, My Dog Killer (dir. Mira Fornay)
- Slovenia, Class Enemy (dir. Rok BiÄek)
- Spain, 15 Years and One Day (dir. Gracia Querejeta)
- Switzerland, More than Honey (dir. Markus Imhoof)
- Thailand, Countdown (dir. Nattawut Poonpiriya)
- United Kingdom, Metro Manila (dir. Sean Ellis)