The 2013 Cannes Film Festival lineup continues to grow, today with the announcement of the films playing in the Cannes Classics selection as well as the titles playing on the beach at night as part of the Cinema de la Plage selection.
It was already announced Kim Novak would be in attendance to present the restored version of Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo, but the restorations that will be screening don’t end there. In addition to Vertigo a restored print of Joseph L. Mankiewicz‘s Cleopatra will screen along with restorations of Billy Wilder‘s Fedora, YasujirÅ Ozu‘s An Autumn Afternoon, Hal Ashby‘s The Last Detail starring Jack Nicholson and a 3-D conversion of Bernardo Bertolucci‘s The Last Emperor. Additional notable names include films from Alain Resnais, Marco Ferreri, Chris Marker and Rene Clement.
In addition to those titles a special presentation of Jean Cocteau‘s La Belle et La Bete (Beauty and the Beast) and Opium will play. The complete list of Cannes Classics is below.
- BOROM SARRET (dir. Ousmane SembÃ¨ne)
- CHARULATA (CHARLUTA: THE LONELY WIFE) (dir. Satyajit Ray)
- CLEOPATRA (dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz)
- FEDORA (dir. Billy Wilder)
- GOHA (dir. Jacques Baratier)
- HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR (dir. Alain Resnais)
- IL DESERTO DEI TARTARI (THE DESERT OF TARTARS) (dir. Valerio Zurlini)
- LA GRANDE ABBUFFATA (LA GRANDE BOUFFE) (dir. Marco Ferreri)
- LA REINE MARGOT (dir. Patrice ChÃ©reau)
- LE JOLI MAI (dir. Chris Marker and Pierre Lhomme)
- LES PARAPLUIES DE CHERBOURG (THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG) (dir. Jacques Demy)
- LUCKY LUCIANO (dir. Francesco Rosi)
- MAYNILA: SA MGA KUKO NG LIWANAG (THE NAIL OF BRIGHTNESS) (dir. Lino Brocka)
- PLEIN SOLEIL (BLAZING SUN) (dir. RenÃ© ClÃ©ment)
- SANMA NO AJI (AN AUTUMN AFTERNOON) (dir. YasujirÅ Ozu)
- THE APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ (dir. Ted Kotcheff)
- THE LAST DETAIL (dir. Hal Ashby)
- THE LAST EMPEROR 3D (dir. Bernardo Bertolucci)
- VISIONS OF EIGHT (dirs. Youri Ozerov, Milos Forman, Mai Zetterling, Claude Lelouch, Arthur Penn, Michael Pfleghar, John Schlesinger, Kon Ichikawa.
I am typically unable to catch any of those titles as I’m running around watching films in the main selection, but last year I was able to catch a screening on the beach in the Cannes Cinema de la Plage selection as they celebrated James Bond. If you didn’t see my well worth the look.
This year it looks like there are at least two restorations playing on the beach I will definitely be checking out, Buster Keaton‘s The General and the newly restored version of Harold Lloyd‘s Safety Last! That, however, isn’t the end of the notable names playing on the beach this year as Hitchcock and Jacques Tati are also among the notables.
Here’s the list of the restorations that will be playing:
- JOUR DE FETE (dir. Jacques Tati)
- THE GENERAL (dir. Buster Keaton)
- THE BIRDS (dir. Alfred Hitchcock)
- LE GRAND BLEU (THE BIG BLUE) (dir. Luc Besson)
- THE LADIES’ MAN (dir. Jerry Lewis)
- L’HOMME DE RIO (THE MAN FROM RIO) (dir. Philippe de Broca)
- SAFETY LAST (dir. Fred C. Newmeyer and Sam Taylor)
I will be in Cannes covering the festival from May 15-25, you can check out the complete lineup right here.