The Oscar for Best Costumes is normally pretty easy to predict, just focus on the costume drama and don’t look back. This year that film is Anna Karenina with costumes by Jacqueline Durran, and, as expected, she took home the Period Film award at tonight’s 2013 Costume Designers Guild Awards. Then Jany Temime‘s work on Skyfall won the Contemporary category, but her work wasn’t nominated for an Oscar so as far as predictions go we can move along.
Then we come to the Fantasy category where the two Snow White films do battle and both were nominated for an Oscar. The winner? The late Eiko Ishioka‘s work on Mirror Mirror. Ishioka passed away at the beginning of last year and Mirror Mirror serves as her second Oscar nomination. She won previously for her work on Francis Ford Coppola’s Dracula.
As for Durran, this is the third time she’s been nominated for an Oscar, all three times on films for Joe Wright — Atonement and Pride & Prejudice being the former nominations. The choice in the category, as far as the Oscars are concerned, certainly lies with either Durran or Ishioka and as I prep my final nominations I have to say, I’m beginning to lean more toward Ishioka, but I just can’t bring myself to vote against the period drama.
I have said as much in my predictions for Best Costume, which you can find here, and I have also updated the Oscar Overture with tonight’s wins, which are recapped below along with all the fellow nominees.
EXCELLENCE IN PERIOD FILM
- Anna Karenina – Jacqueline Durran
- Argo – Jacqueline West
- Les MisÃ©rables – Paco Delgado
- Lincoln – Joanna Johnston
- Moonrise Kingdom – Kasia Walicka-Maimone
EXCELLENCE IN CONTEMPORARY FILM
- Beasts of the Southern Wild – Stephani Lewis
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel – Louise Stjernsward
- Silver Linings Playbook – Mark Bridges
- Skyfall – Jany Temime
- Zero Dark Thirty – George L. Little
EXCELLENCE IN FANTASY FILM
- Cloud Atlas – Kym Barrett, Pierre-Yves Gayraud
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Ann Maskrey, Richard Taylor, Bob Buck
- The Hunger Games – Judianna Makovsky
- Mirror Mirror – Eiko Ishioka
- Snow White and the Huntsman – Colleen Atwood