The American Cinema Editors (ACE) handed out the 2013 Eddie Awards last night and the race didn’t change too much, that is unless you were confused as to who the two primary front-runners heading into next Sunday’s Oscars were.
Argo (edited by William Goldenberg, A.C.E.) and Silver Linings Playbook (edited by Jay Cassidy, A.C.E. and Crispin Struthers) won Best Edited Feature Film (Dramatic) and Best Edited Feature Film (Comedy/Musical) respectively. Brave won in the Animated category while presumptive Best Documentary winner, Searching for Sugar Man won in the Documentary category.
Of course, just to keep things interesting and ensure “Team Lincoln” didn’t go home entirely empty handed, Steven Spielberg received the ACE Golden Eddie Filmmaker of the Year honor presented to him by longtime collaborator and friend Kathleen Kennedy.
I’ve already updated the Oscar Overture with the wins for Argo and Silver Linings as the path for Argo to win Best Picture one week from today is looking more and more inevitable.
Below is a list of all the feature film nominees with the winners highlighted in bold red text
BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (DRAMATIC):
- Argo – William Goldenberg, A.C.E.
- Life of Pi – Tim Squyres, A.C.E.
- Lincoln – Michael Kahn, A.C.E.
- Skyfall – Stuart Baird, A.C.E.
- Zero Dark Thirty – Dylan Tichenor, A.C.E. and William Goldenberg, A.C.E.
BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (COMEDY OR MUSICAL):
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel – Chris Gill
- Les MisÃ©rables – Melanie Ann Oliver & Chris Dickens, A.C.E.
- Moonrise Kingdom – Andrew Weisblum, A.C.E.
- Silver Linings Playbook – Jay Cassidy, A.C.E. & Crispin Struthers
- Ted – Jeff Freeman, A.C.E.
BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
- Brave – Nicolas C. Smith, A.C.E.
- Frankenweenie – Chris Lebenzon, A.C.E. & Mark Solomon
- Rise of the Guardians – Joyce Arrastia
- Wreck-It Ralph – Tim Mertens
BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE):
- Samsara – Ron Fricke & Mark Magidson
- Searching for Sugar Man – Malik Bendjelloul
- West of Memphis – Billy McMillin