After only 14 days in release, the worldwide hit Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen became the second-fastest film in movie history to earn $300 million in U.S. ticket sales, eclipsing the previous record-holder Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, by two days. From director Michael Bay and executive producer Steven Spielberg, the Paramount Pictures release trails only The Dark Knight in this record-setting achievement.
“Moviegoers everywhere propelled the film to this great success, paving the way for a phenomenal run,” said Paramount Pictures Vice Chairman Rob Moore.
2007’s Transformers earned $319.2 million in its theatrical run, and more than $700 million worldwide. The sequel has already taken in over $600 million worldwide to date, conquering several records including:
* Biggest Wednesday-Sunday opening of all time.
* Biggest Wednesday opening of all time.
* Paramount’s biggest international opening of all time.
* 3rd biggest worldwide opening weekend of all time.
* 4th biggest international opening of all time.