The winners of the 2009 Satellite Awards were announced and The Hurt Locker was again the big winner with four awards including Best Picture (Drama), Director for Kathryn Bigelow, Actor (Drama) for Jeremy Renner and Film Editing. Precious won for Supporting Actress (Mo’Nique) and Adapted Screenplay while Christoph Waltz continued to rack up Supporting Actor awards for his turn in Inglourious Basterds.
Perhaps most surprising to me is the continuous stream of victories for Meryl Streep in Julie and Julia, again, not because I didn’t like her performance, but up until the critical awards began being announced Carey Mulligan in An Education was the clear front-runner. However, I am beginning to think the tide has turned and Streep’s excellent turn as Julia Child may be able to take home the Oscar.
I have listed the complete batch of winners below, take a peek and weigh in with your thoughts in the comments.
Motion Picture (Drama)
- The Hurt Locker
Motion Picture (Comedy or Musical)
- Kathryn Bigelow – The Hurt Locker
Actress In A Motion Picture (Drama)
- Shohreh Aghdashloo – The Stoning of Soraya M.
Actor In A Motion Picture (Drama)
- Jeremy Renner – The Hurt Locker
Actress In A Motion Picture (Comedy or Musical)
- Meryl Streep – Julie & Julia
Actor In A Motion Picture (Comedy or Musical)
- Michael Stuhlbarg – A Serious Man
Actress In A Supporting Role
- Mo’nique – Precious
Actor In A Supporting Role
- Christoph Waltz – Inglourious Basterds
Motion Picture (Foreign Language Film)
- The Maid (Chile) TIE
- Broken Embraces (Spain) TIE
- Scott Neustadter, Michael H. Weber – (500) Days of Summer
- Geoffrey Fletcher – Precious
Motion Picture (Animated or Mixed Media)
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
Motion Picture (Documentary)
- Every Little Step
- Rolfe Kent – Up in the Air
- “The Weary Kind” – Crazy Heart
- Dion Beebe – Nine
- The Hurt Locker
Sound (Mixing & Editing)
Art Direction & Production Design
- A Single Man
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Stay up to date with all of my Oscar and award season coverage in “The Contenders” section of the site.