Fifty Shades of Grey doesn’t open until Thursday night, but it is pacing to become one of Fandango’s top five advance ticket-sellers in the company’s 15-year history, joining the elite domain of the “Harry Potter,” “Hunger Games” and “Twilight” franchise movies, which currently dominate the list.
Fandango’s top five pre-sellers, at the same point in their sales cycles (two days before release date), are:
1. The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009)
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)
3. The Hunger Games (2012)
4. Fifty Shades of Grey (2015)
5. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1 (2011)
“The worldwide phenomenon that is ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ is resulting in more buzz for an adult-skewing film than I’ve seen in many years,” says Fandango Chief Correspondent Dave Karger. “It’s enticing fans who are looking for an exciting girls’ night out, as well as a date night for Valentine’s weekend.”
“Fifty Shades” is also on track to break more Fandango ticket sales records as the company’s:
– Top seller among all films released during Valentine’s Day, beating, respectively, Valentine’s Day (2010), Safe Haven (2013), About Last Night (2014) and The Vow (2012);
– #1 February pre-seller, topping The LEGO Movie (2014);
– Biggest R-rated ticket-seller in the company’s history.
Fandango is reporting hundreds of sold-out Fifty Shades of Grey showtimes across the country, while theater owners are continually adding new screens and posting new showtimes on Fandango to meet the fan demand.