After years spent in script development, the fourth installment of the successful franchise is set to begin production in June in locations around the world and in the U.S.
Although he has been developing other projects, including a biopic about Abraham Lincoln with Liam Neeson attached to star, Spielberg has decided the “Indiana Jones” sequel will be his next directorial outing.
“George, Harrison and I are all very excited,” Spielberg said. “We feel that the script was well worth the wait. We hope it delivers everything you’d expect from our history with Indiana Jones.”
The film will be produced by Lucasfilm Ltd. and released worldwide by Paramount Pictures, the parent company of DreamWorks. Frank Marshall will serve as producer, with Lucas and Kathy Kennedy joining him as executive producers.
David Koepp, who has written such previous Spielberg projects as Jurassic Park and War of the Worlds, wrote the screenplay that finally got the stamp of approval from Lucas and Spielberg. An earlier screenplay by Frank Darabont had been shelved when Lucas turned thumbs down on it.
For the moment, the title of the new film as well as its story line are being kept under wraps.
Although a spokesman for Spielberg said Monday that no casting has begun, Lucas and Ford have said that they would like to include Sean Connery, who played Indiana Jones’ father, Professor Henry Jones, in “The Last Crusade.”