Although we learned last month that Matt Damon is planning on returning to the Bourne franchise alongside The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum helmer Paul Greengrass, The Bourne Legacy star Jeremy Renner today assures CraveOnline that we haven’t seen the last of his Aaron Cross.
“Its still moving,” Renner says of the project, which has four-time Fast and Furious franchise helmer Justin Lin attached to direct. “We have our director, whos actually run off to do the ‘True Detective’ series right now, and then, while thats happening, theyre finishing writing the script. I know Greengrass and Damon well, I’ve heard have maybe cracked an idea. A reason to continue the ‘Bourne’ series, which is fantastic. They have created a very exciting universe, and hopefully in my mind I’d love for us to do something together. If not on the next one, sometime very soon. I think that would be really great. I know I want it. I feel like the fans want it as well.”
Assuming both projects stay on the schedule, it sounds like a potential Jason Bourne/Aaron Cross crossover film will happen a bit farther down the line, if at all. That shouldn’t stop fans from having some fun speculating, however, and Renner is ready to do just that.
“I think you pit them against each other,” he says, explaining his basic pitch for a crossover film, “and then they go together against the bad guy. We realize that we’re not the enemy. I mean, I think a thousand people can come up with that scenario, but I think you do both. I think that could be really interesting. Mind you, there have been NO talks, whatsoever, creatively about that. So that’s just the fanboy in me, I suppose.”
A fifth Bourne film is set to be released on July 16, 2016, but no official confirmation has been made as of yet in terms of who will be starring.