THQ today unveiled Metro: Last Light, the sequel to 2010’s Metro 2033. Here is the press release and announcement trailer:
THQ today announced that the hugely anticipated sequel to 2010s multiple Interactive Achievement Award finalist, Metro 2033, is scheduled for release in Calendar 2012, for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and Windows PC.
Metro: Last Light will immerse the player in the haunting, desolate ruins of post-apocalyptic Moscow, one of the most richly detailed, and beautifully realised gaming worlds of modern times. Developer 4A Games will deliver a terrifying, atmospheric single-player adventure that fuses thrilling combat with exploration and survival horror to create a unique, memorable experience.
We believe that Metro 2033 was a flawed masterpiece, said Danny Bilson, EVP Core Games, THQ. It was a beautiful, original game that didnt get the marketing support it needed. We wont make that mistake with Metro: Last Light. This game improves on the original in every way it will have more polish, deeper and more sophisticated gameplay, and satisfyingly visceral combat, without losing what our fans loved about the original. Metro: Last Light is another artful piece of game development from an Eastern European studio that will thrill and terrify anyone looking for a more cerebral experience than your typical first person shooter.
Metro: Last Light pitches the player into the midst of a desperate civil war for control over a doomsday device that threatens to destroy humanity forever. The epic single-player campaign and unique multiplayer experience will benefit from the extraordinary lighting, physics and destruction made possible by Metro: Last Lights bespoke 4A Engine technology.
Metro: Last Light will be unveiled to the public at this years E3 Convention with a live gameplay demonstration.
About Metro: Last Light
It is the year 2034.
Beneath the ruins of post-apocalyptic Moscow, in the tunnels of the Metro, the remnants of mankind are besieged by deadly threats from outside and within.
Mutants stalk the catacombs beneath the desolate surface, and hunt amidst the poisoned skies above.
But rather than stand united, the station-cities of the Metro are locked in a struggle for the ultimate power, a doomsday device from the military vaults of D6. A civil war is stirring that could wipe humanity from the face of the earth forever.
As Artyom, burdened by guilt but driven by hope, you hold the key to our survival the last light in our darkest hour
– A gripping, story-driven first person shooter, Metro: Last Light is the hugely anticipated sequel to 2010s critically acclaimed cult classic Metro 2033
– Experience thrilling combat with an exotic arsenal of hand-made weaponry against deadly foes both human and mutant and use stealth to launch attacks under the cover of darkness
– Explore the post-apocalyptic world of the Moscow Metro, one of the most immersive, atmospheric game worlds ever created
– Fight for every bullet and every last breath in a claustrophobic blend of survival horror and FPS gameplay
– Next generation technology boasting stunning lighting and physics sets a new graphical benchmark on both console and PC
– Wage post-apocalyptic warfare online, as Last Light delivers an intense multiplayer experience amongst the dark Russian ruins