Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced that Ridley Scott’s Robin Hood will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on September 21 and will include an unrated director’s cut as well as the theatrical version:
Oscar® winner Russell Crowe reunites with Gladiator director Ridley Scott to reveal the untold story of a common archer’s rise to become a hero in Robin Hood, the $309 million(1) worldwide blockbuster coming to Blu-ray Hi-Def Combo Pack, 2-Disc Special Edition DVD and single disc DVD on September 21, 2010 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. All of these versions will feature the theatrical film, as well as a never-before-seen unrated director’s cut of the movie. The film and its unrated version will also be available day and date for digital download and video on demand.
The 3-disc Robin Hood Blu-ray Combo Pack will feature a Blu-ray and DVD copy of the theatrical and director’s cut film, as well as a digital copy of the director’s cut that can be viewed on an array of electronic and portable devices anytime, anywhere. Additionally, both the Blu-ray Combo Pack and the 2-Disc Special Edition will feature deleted scenes and filmmaker commentary, plus an extensive look at the making of Robin Hood that includes behind-the-scenes interviews with cast and crew. The Blu-ray release also exclusively features an interactive “Director’s Notebook,” which seamlessly takes fans inside the making of the specific scenes of the film, from production design to special effects.
Sweeping pageantry and heart-pumping action transports viewers to the meticulously recreated medieval battlefields and byways of 13th century England for the inspiring story of a legendary hero. Robin Hood’s sterling cast also includes Academy Award® winners Cate Blanchett (The Aviator, Elizabeth: the Golden Age) and William Hurt (The Incredible Hulk, Kiss of the Spider Woman), as well as Mark Strong (Sherlock Holmes), Mark Addy (The Full Monty), Oscar Isaac (Body of Lies), Danny Huston (The Aviator), Kevin Durand (Legion), Scott Grimes (“Band of Brothers”), Matthew Macfadyen (Frost/Nixon), Eileen Atkins (Last Chance Harvey), Simon McBurney (Body of Lies) and Oscar® nominee Max von Sydow (Shutter Island).
Robin Hood’s expansive scale and exhilarating action sequences hit a bulls-eye with critics around the world, with Pete Hammond of Boxoffice Magazine saying, “If you’ve think you’ve seen Robin Hood, think again,” and adding that that the film is “spectacular epic movie making at its best in the tradition of Gladiator and Braveheart.” Robin Hood is “An original, new take on a classic story,” in the words of Patrick Stoner, WHYY PBS (Philadelphia) and “A must-see epic adventure!” according to Christina Vandre, KARE NBC (Minneapolis). Dan Jolin of Empire gives it four stars, calling it, “Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe at their most entertaining since Gladiator.”
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVELY ON BLU-RAY:
* DIRECTOR’S NOTEBOOK A seamless multimedia experience focusing on the director’s vision gives viewers a peek inside Oscar® nominee Ridley Scott’s unique filmmaking process. Incorporating behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Scott and his trusted inner circle of collaborators, this feature launches at critical moments throughout the film to illuminate the task of mounting a vast production like Robin Hood.
* THE ART OF NOTTINGHAM A special look at the portfolio of designs generated for the film, including video introductions by key department heads such as production designer Arthur Max and costume designer Janty Yates. Galleries of concept art, costume designs, storyboards and other imagery are featured.
* BD-LIVE Access the BD-Live Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more.
o MY SCENES Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movie.
* pocket BLU app Experience Blu-ray in an exciting new way with the pocket BLU app for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Blackberry, Android, PC and Macintosh. With this app, you can work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray player to activate advanced features such as:
o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live functions with ease as well as activate a timeline to skip to any point in the movie with the slide of a finger.
o Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the movie.
o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there’s a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
o VIRTUAL Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray player with your device’s easy and intuitive keyboard to facilitate such Blu-ray features as chatting with friends and sending messages.
* uHEAR Always catch every word with uHear! This innovative feature instantly skips back a few seconds on your Blu-ray disc and turns on the subtitles for the section you couldn’t hear!
* INTERACTIVE TICKER: Get the latest information about Universal’s theatrical and Blu-ray releases. Plus, get updates about upcoming BD-Live events, awards and TV shows on NBC
BONUS FEATURES AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY AND 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION DVD:
* DELETED SCENES WITH INTRODUCTION & COMMENTARY BY EDITOR PIETRO SCALIA
* RISE AND RISE AGAIN: MAKING RIDLEY SCOTT’S ROBIN HOOD
o BALLAD, LEGEND & MYTH: PRE-PRODUCTION See how the filmmakers and actors, including Ridley Scott, Brian Grazer and Russell Crowe, tackled the challenge of breathing new life into the longest surviving character in the English language, Robin Hood.
o THE MORE THE MERRIER: PRODUCTION A stellar cast led by Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett descended on England to shoot this massive epic under the direction of Ridley Scott. With an unparalleled passion for detail, Scott oversees all of the production design, costuming, weaponry and action sequences in the film.
o NO QUARTER GIVEN: POST PRODUCTION Sifting through a million feet of shot film, Ridley Scott and editor Pietro Scalia perfect the screen story and work with the post-production team to add layers of sound design, visual effects and Marc Streitenfeld’s beautiful score.
* DIGITAL COPY OF THE UNRATED DIRECTOR’S CUT VERSION OF THE FILM
Robin Hood chronicles the life of an expert archer, previously interested only in self-preservation, from his service in King Richard’s army against the French. Upon Richard’s death, Robin Longstride (Oscar® winner Russell Crowe) travels to Nottingham, a town suffering from the corruption of a despotic sheriff and crippling taxation, where he falls for the spirited widow Lady Marion (Oscar® winner Cate Blanchett), a woman skeptical of the identity and motivations of this crusader from the forest. Hoping to earn Lady Marion’s hand and salvage the village, Robin assembles a gang whose lethal mercenary skills are matched only by their appetite for life. Together, they begin preying on the indulgent upper class to correct injustices under the sheriff. With their country weakened from decades of war, embattled by the ineffective rule of the new king and vulnerable to insurgencies from within and threats from afar, Robin and his men heed a call to ever greater adventure. This unlikeliest of heroes and his allies set off to protect their country from slipping into bloody civil war and return glory to England once more.